KIDS RULES FOR INTERNET SAFETY
Here are some helpful tips you can go over with your children that use the computer / internet:
1. Do not give out personal information such as your address, telephone number, parents’ work address/telephone number without your parents’ permission.
2. Tell your parents right away if you come across something that makes you feel uncomfortable.
3. Never agree to get together with someone you “meet” online without first checking with your parents. If your parents agree to the meeting, be sure that it is in a public place and bring a parent along.
4. Talk with your parents about posting pictures of yourself, or others online and do not post any pictures that your parents consider to be inappropriate.
5. Do not respond to any messages that are mean or in any way make you feel uncomfortable. It is not your fault if you get a message like that. If you do, tell your parents right away.
6. Talk with your parents so that they can set up rules for going online and using a mobile phone. They will decide upon the time of day that you can be online, the length of time you can be online and appropriate areas online to visit.
7. Never give out passwords to anyone (even my best friends) other than your parents.
8. Check with your parents before downloading or installing software, or doing anything that could possibly hurt your computer or mobile device or jeopardize your family’s privacy.
9. Always be a good online citizen and not do anything that hurts other people, or is against the law.
10. Help your parents understand how to have fun and learn things online and teach them things about the Internet, computers and other technology.